Wednesday, September 19, 2007

FORE!!! never really works...

I never thought that I'd almost kill my best friend playing a round of golf. Golfing can really be competitive, but c'mon, would I really stoop that low? Perhaps...

Eric and I started to really get into golfing a couple of months ago. We even have our own set of golf clubs now. Here are a few pics of me wacking at the ball back on July 7th.

I'm driving off a tee in this sequence...
Here I am using a pitching wedge to get the ball up into the green...

Then of course here's putting...


I scored a 119 that day. Just a few more months of practice and I should be hitting the pro tour...yeah, right!!

Fast forward to August 18...

Eric, my brother Roman, and I were playing at a golf course in Cecil Field (the former Navy Base) . My brother took this picture of us from his cart.
Needless to say I was having a bad day and I was pretty frustrated from hole 1 onward. After a quick break, we set off to the 10th hole. Off the tee, both of our balls sailed to the right, with Eric's going through a little patch of woods onto the other fairway, and mine on our side but a little short in distance.

We drove the cart to my ball location. Eric took his club and started walking a distance to find his ball while I setup to hit my ball more into the fairway. At this point he is about 40-50 yards in front and about a 45 degree angle to the right of where I was attempting to hit, and was about to cross a bridge to get to the other fairway. I figured he was out of harms way, right?

Remember, I was frustrated already, and out of desperation I swung really hard at the ball with my 3 wood.

This is where Murphy's Law takes into effect.

I hit the ball with the side of my club and sliced it really bad...

...a line drive...

...at a 45 degree angle to the right of intended direction...

...right towards Eric.

My frustration turned to horror and just as I was yelling "FORE!!!" the damage was already done. Eric dropped like a bucket, sprawled on the golf course, in pain.

I thought OH GOD!!! I just killed my best friend!!!

Roman saw what happened and we both immediately ran to him. He laid motionless, with his face grimaced with pain. Eric couldn't talk at this point so my brother and I were trying to decide if he needed medical attention because it hit him right around his right kidney area. We weren't sure if any internal damage was done.

Roman went back to the 10th hole tee and told the group behind us to play through. They were in disbelief as to what happened after my brother recounted the incident to them.

As the pain subsided, Eric started to laugh and muttered, "Man, we're always making new memories, huh?" I was relieved to know that I didn't kill him after all, let alone his humor.

So what's the damage? Take a look for yourself...
Anyone want to challenge me to a round of golf?

4 comments:

Mat said...

Well, if I see any golf balls flying around I'll know who to blame! If you can pull that off, I wouldn't doubt that you could get one over here too.

My internship supervisor was actually telling us that he was at a driving range once and the grip on his club was loose. The grip ended up coming off in the middle of a swing and went spinning through air directly to his left and flew across the path of at lest four other people on the driving range, missing them by about 5 feet.
I've never been brave enough to take up golf. If you think I get frustrated playing NCAA football on the Playstation.... well, I'll leave it to your imagination.

Wendy M said...

Nice Vlad...
If we ever play, you can go first.
:-) Wendy

Unknown said...

Mat: I know you well enough to never invite you to a round of golf. Too bad there's no reset button on the golf course...LOL.

Wendy: I'm sure I'll find a way to (accidentally) hit you no matter where you stand :-P

Anonymous said...

Bobby, you had me laughing at my seat at work...hahaha I can picture my brother hitting the ground in pain...too funny! You guys are too crazy. :)