Sunday, June 17, 2007

Dell Pride?

WARNING -- Controversial Material!!!

I've worked for several major companies (Northrop Grumman, Harris Corporation, Monsanto) and they each have their way of celebrating diversity in the workforce, mainly by adhering to and informing employees of anti-discrimination laws regarding race, religion, sexual orientation, etc, of an employee.

At Dell, my current employer, I received a corporate email with the following logo a few weeks back, celebrating Gay Pride Month. They had invited a famous and openly gay guest speaker to speak at the Austin, TX campus and was emailing everyone the days and times for the event.




Did Dell go too far to celebrate gay pride or do you think Dell had every right to promote this kind of diversity at the workplace? Because this is a controversial subject, feel free to leave anonymous comments.

3 comments:

Charlotta-love said...

Wow. First, I don't approve of that lifestyle although I have friends and relatives who live it. I love them for them but not for their lifestyle. It's pretty understood that I don't want to know all that goes on - don't ask/don't tell type of situation. We get along.
This demonstration with Dell seems a bit inappropriate. I'm sure there are employees that are happy to see this type of support for their community but it makes me rather uncomfortable. I would not attend, wear a button in support, or encourage anything with the event.
I know this country is a free country and we have freedom of speech so Dell can say what they want. I can also say what I want to. I think they went too far.

Karie said...

Generally I'm a live and let live sort of person, but I agree with Charlotte: This is going too far.

Mat said...

I think that as long as a company isn't requiring anyone to support these types of events then they have every right to hold them and promote them.
Now if they were sending out buttons and telling employees that they had to be worn during work, or if they were requiring attendace to such an event, then I would have a problem.