Tuesday, June 19, 2007

One Degree (of separation) of Napoleon Dynamite

I'll get straight to the point. I was roommates with Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite) from 1999-2000 when we attended BYU in Provo, UT. We were assigned to the same unit at Cinnamon Tree Apartments. And if anyone wants to check out the 2nd floor corner unit, the address is:

1285 N Freedom Blvd (200 W) Apt 30
Provo, UT 84604

BYU housing is unlike other college housing...off-campus housing is assigned like dorms (that's another topic). I had just returned from a two-year Mormon mission to Los Angeles California and made arrangements in the Fall of 1999 to room with another friend of mine that also went to Los Angeles. For the two-bedroom apartment that was assigned to us, they paired us up with Jon and Dan Heder, who both just got back from their church missions to Japan. They took one room, we took the other.

For two semesters, I witnessed Jon, uncut, speaking Japanese with his brother, making short films in the apartment, and I even heard those catch phrases like "Gosh!!!", "Luckeeeee!!!", and "You idiot!!!" whenever he decided to go in character of the future Napoleon Dynamite. Who would've thought I was that close to fame?

4 comments:

Charlotta-love said...

LUCKY!

You could have got his autograph on the utility bill or something.

Cinnamon Tree huh. Wow, those were kinda ghetto when I lived out there. Of course, this is coming from a Liberty Square girl.

Mat said...

Well, I can one up you on that since I also lived on same dorm floor with him my freshman year, and therefore happen to have a copy of a "documentary" that he and Dan made of our ward that year.

Unknown said...

Charlottalove -- I know I've been to Liberty Square before, but it's been such a long time and I can't remember how well kept they were.

Mathew -- I remember that "documentary"!! I tell you what. Let me have a copy of it and I'll sell them on Ebay and give you a cut? Whaddaya say?

Wendy M said...

You're practically famous!