Sunday, April 1, 2012

Eddie's Birthday

I know that today is April Fools day...but I couldn't think of anything to fool people, so I decided to do something nice.

My friend and I decided to bake a cake for our mutual friend Eddie.  He's everything you'd expect with a 50 something man, of Italian decent, who grew up in New York City.  He talks so fast, your head gets dizzy trying to keep up with him.  But he has a heart of gold.

And today is his birthday.  We decided to bake him a yellow cake with chocolate frosting and sprinkles on top.  I picked him up on the guise of watching General Conference, which we were.  And as he was walking into the kitchen, I pointed to the cake, and he was nothing but smiles.

During a break of the conference, we lit the candles (only put 10...it would have been a fire hazzard otherwise), and after singing Happy Birthday, he paused and decided to say a prayer, giving thanks to us.

Who ever does that?  Pray before blowing out the candles.

But I can tell he was very moved by this simple gesture, that he had to stop to give thanks.

Eddie has a heart of gold...and a heart of gratitude, of which I'm thankful for.

Happy Birthday Eddie.  And I hope this year is a great and blessed day for you!!

No comments: