Sunday, March 18, 2012

Life Cycle of Empires (Friday March 16)

I know what your thinking...you asking "Huh?"

The topic seems pretty random, but I can explain.  One of my friends posted the following sticker on her Facebook wall.


That started quit a stir on her wall, with the conservative people wanting "free agency" or the decision do to do good instead of government forcing it upon you, and the liberals stating that these entitlements (like planned parenthood) allow them the liberty to pursue happiness.

Among the discussion, I became a little disappointed in the thought process of how people think, and I started thinking about the decline of past civilizations as well as America.  I did a Google search about it and came up with a wonderful article on how America's destiny is in line with the life cycle of previous empires.  You can read the article here.

The author reveals the following key points that have attributed to previous empire's decline and how America is showing those same symptoms:


1) The decline of sexual morality.
2) The increased economic and political power of women.
3) Many foreign immigrants settle in the empire's capital and major cities.
4) Irresponsible pleasure seeking and pessimism.
5) Government provides welfare for the poor extensively.

The article is very good and well thought out. I hope you have a chance to read it.  I'm grateful for the people who have researched the history of previous empires and nations, so that we can see the patterns that made them great...and not so great.  

We've heard the saying "history repeats itself".  One of my favorite variations is "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."  I feel that even if we know our past, collective human nature still guides us to the similar outcome.  

No comments: