Sunday, March 25, 2012

FICCA Saturday, March 24

I had a chance to go with my Dad to a FICCA induction.  Yes it was another Asian event (see yesterday), but more specifically the Filipino Civic and Cultural Association of Jacksonville Florida.  I saw some people at this event that went to the Night of Asia last night.  One of the ladies I spoke to yesterday (Audrey Hill of We Filipinos Inc) was the keynote speaker for tonight's event.  


It's a testimony to me of the the Filipinos in the United States that want to keep passing along their heritage along to their children.  I am a first generation US born Filipino.  In the keynote speech, Audrey noted that it takes three generations to be completely removed from your roots.  We hope to keep it going.


Although I am an assimilated citizen of the United States, I have an innate desire to remember and pass along the Filipino heritage to our younger generations.  And these groups give me an avenue to pursue.  


On another note, I had a fun time with my Dad and the guests at the table.  I also had fun watching my Dad get a little tipsy from the cash bar.  He seemed more more loose, more like a friend and less like a father.  And there was a funny event at the parking lot, but I can't disclose it here.  



No comments: