Saturday, March 3, 2012

Genealogy

I had a chance to volunteer for a Genealogy Conference today.  At first I thought I was going to just sit around a not do anything, but it ended up being that I was at the right place when there was some assistance.  Most of it was helping the attendees find their rooms, making photocopies for the teachers, and making the everyone feel welcomed.

One highlight is finding a guest teacher on the side of the church building trying to get in.  I just happen to be on that hallway to open the locked entry way.  She told me that she was a teacher for one of the workshops and wanted to know where to go.  I led her to the registration booth and jokingly said "I found this teacher on the side of the road...how can we help her find her room?"  She laughed at the joke and everyone carried on to assist her....all smiles and laughter.

I went to a couple of workshops and they were quite informative.  One class was about getting started with Genealogy, which I need to help further my research.  I only have up to my grandparents, with the rest of my lineage records in the Philippines.  The other class I went to discussed special objects and signs on tombstones.  The guest lecturers were very captivating and funny, the the information they gave was very revealing.  People really do go in depth on how to remember their loved ones.

Keeping a record of our ancestry is very fascinating.  I wish I had more passion about it.  In our generation, we have the technology to capture our lives in video and digital pictures, which makes it easier to pass along to the  future generation.  Comparing that  to the adventure to research our past, the records, pictures, diaries, etc., may be hard to come by.

And of course, there's a Spiritual side of genealogy work, which makes this very important.  I'm grateful for Genealogy research, and for the people who are passionate about this.  I hope to be that energetic someday.

No comments: