Saturday, February 18, 2012

Birthdays

Now that I'm a little older (well, it's all relative), I'm not fond of the celebrating of my birthdays.  Or should I say, that I still like the attention and celebration, but I would not necessarily want people go out of their way to throw a big party for me.

Every year, my family (parents, brother, and extended family) throws me a little birthday party, and this year is no different.  That's one of the great things about moving back to Jacksonville in 2006, that I can be present in the celebration of our lives.  For 15 years, I was away to college or working in other parts of the country, so I didn't have this closeness to my family.  

BBQ (Filipino style) is always in order.  Some veggies, like corn or beans, accentuate the main dishes.  The obligatory rice is prepared, as well as potatoes, and rolls.   I can never get tired of this menu.  No birthday cake this year, and I'm totally fine with that.  

After the feast, a few of us watched the movie Antwone Fisher.  I saw this movie in the big screen back in 2002 and thoroughly enjoyed watching it again tonight.

As always, I just love how the family comes together to celebrate our lives.  Today it was for my birthday.  I love my family.  We're getting up there in age, and I know that the inevitable will happen and we're going to move on from this mortal life.  But for now, I am grateful that we can come together to celebrate my birthday today.  


No comments: