Thursday, February 9, 2012

Printers...through the years.

My all-in-one laser jet printer/scanner/copier, just ran out of toner.  I was caught unprepared.  I didn't have a replacement, so now I'm waiting for the toner to arrive in the mail.

I bought this printer back in 2005, and it's been a main staple in my daily life, and such a very useful tool.  At first, I thought I bought too much printer, but my needs for it has grown through the years, and I marvel at how much easier this printer has made my life.

I also have a color-inkjet printer, that does wonderful photo prints.  The printer can also print CD/DVD labels directly on the media.  How cool is that?

I think back to my first printer.  It was an Okidata thermal ink printer used in conjunction with my Commodore 64 computer.  The printer used heat to melt ink on a ribbon to the paper, but it was painstakingly slow, since it was a color printer, and it had to cycle through the different ribbons to print ink...come to think of it, I think there was a separate plain black ribbon that you can use if you didn't need color.  Nonetheless, it was still a slow printer.

Somewhere along the way, I acquired a dot-matrix printer.  And then transitioned to an ink-jet printer, then a laser-jet printer, and finally my all-in-one laser jet printer.

Ahhhh, the wonders of technology, and for which (as a former engineer) I am thankful for, this time specifically to my printer.

No comments: