Sunday, February 12, 2012

Parents (Friday, Feb10)

I was listening on the radio about a father who found out that his daughter posted mean things her parents on Facebook.  He decided to take things into his own hands, posting a video on YouTube and posting it on her wall.  The video went viral.  To some it was spot-on.  To others it was a little extreme.  For me, I liked it, because it seems like he's getting hard-nosed on a teenager that is perceived to be lazy, but we don't really know the entire dynamics of the family unit.

But nonetheless, I'm thankful for my parents, because of their tough love way that they raised me.  There was structure, and for the most part it was enforced.  They demanded the best in us.  Education was very important.     They taught me to respect the law, to respect adults, to treat people right.  They taught us about working hard. They gave us limits on playing, making sure we did our homework.

I'm not a parent, but that doesn't preclude me from making an observation that children aren't being taught these basic truths.  And the way of our society is declining because of it.  There are more people that feel entitled to things that they didn't work hard for.  More people graduate from high school that do not have the necessary skills to make a decent living.  There's less respect for authority or adults.

Sometimes it feel like a losing battle, but I vow to do my part to make sure that these children are raised right, because my parents did that for me.

No comments: