Thursday, February 16, 2012

Scriptures

The world is full of ideas and decisions that pull you every which way, and if you are not firmly rooted in some core values, then you would fall for anything.  It's interesting reading the polarizing opinions from CNN news articles.  The latest articles include who should provide free contraception, the passing Whitney Houston, Obama invoking the teachings of Jesus to justify increasing the taxes for the rich.  

That's why I am thankful for scriptures, because the teachings of God, written by His prophets, give us a set of guidelines by which God wants us to live our lives.  Some people think that the commandments are restrictive, that it doesn't allow us to explore the full range of our choices.  But in actuality, it does simplify our lives, because we then do not experience the consequences of bad choices.  

Life isn't necessarily easier, and by no means do I consider myself a perfect saint (heh heh pun unintended).  But the "rules" set forth by our Heavenly Father, give us strong roots in a shifting landscape of values.  And I'm glad that I can strengthen my faith through reading the scriptures.


No comments: