Thursday, February 2, 2012

Motivational and Development Books

I use to be a cynic about these books.  Through the years, I've read a few of them but they either didn't seem to work, or I felt that the techniques were beyond my experience level (ie it didn't pertain to me).

But within the past few years, I've began to read some of them and they seem to have some value now. What changed?  Well, I'm am more ambitious with my life's goals...and I started to be more pro-active in implementing what I learn.  And yes, I've grown up a little as well and for some reason the topics are now important to me.

Currently I'm reading a book entitled "How To Succeed With People" by Stephen R Covey, author of the famous "7 Habits..." book.  By the way, I read that book the summer before I went to grad school at BYU back in 1999.  At that time, I didn't feel the book was of any value.  Fast forward to 2012..I've recently skimmed through a few chapters and boy does the book read a lot differently now.  Weird huh?  

But back to the current book.  Listen to the title "How To Succeed With People"...my cynical side would have thought "Oh this is a book to manipulate people into doing things you want them to do".  I know, pretty deceptive.  But in actuality, the suggestions in the book come from a perspective of "I genuinely care about myself, my family, my co-workers, and everyone that I interact with.  How can I strengthen those relationships?"  This particular book makes references to scriptures and how the principles are govern by a higher being, by God.  I would like to say that this book is an application of the Scriptures in the modern day society, and the only reason I say modern is really because we are living in it, not that the principles would be different from past era's.  Human behavior is the same, no matter the time frame.

I am thankful for these kinds of books.  They really have helped me recently.  I've "bought into them" so to speak.

My goal is to read at least six (6) development books this year.  I am planning to go back and reread the "7 Habits..." book again, because I have a clearer vision of how it will affect my life.  

Looking forward to accomplishing that goal.

No comments: