Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Haka

I was first introduced to this tribal war dance when I was at BYU in Provo, UT.  My roommate was from New Zealand and one afternoon he showed us this thing called the Haka.  The New Zealand All-blacks rugby team performs this ritual before every game.  I found a video on youtube that shows a Haka war chant-off between New Zealand and Tonga.  And here's another cool one against Ireland.  It's a different style from what I'm familiar with, but I love the faces and movements.

When I was on the BYU Folk Dance Team (not the premiere group, but one of the "lesser" groups), we learned the Haka during one of our recreational outings.  It was quite fun to learn.  Since then I've learned the war chant again for an impromptu dance in North Carolina a couple of years ago.

So why am I bringing it up today?  That's because I'm leaning it again for a Luau that my church is having in March. A sister missionary from Samoa (or of Samoan decent) is teaching us the dance.  The boys and men are learning the dance.  Quite the scene so far.

So I'm not necessarily thankful for the actual Haka dance, I am thankful  that we can bring different cultures from around the world into our lives.  It's such a neat way to respect and pay homage to the diversity and how in a way in brings us together.

Being Filipino, and a first generation American, I'm very familiar with bringing our culture here...especially when it comes to food.  Let me see, I can't count how many times people have asked for Lumpia and Pancit.  I know how to make Lumpia now, but please go to the local Asian store so that you can purchase your own pre-made Filipino eggrolls there. Just kidding.  I've made it for a few select people, and I can make it for you too.


No comments: