Saturday, February 25, 2012

Home Teaching & Prayer

Today was a very busy day.  In the morning, I had a business appointment.  In the late afternoon I had a rehearsal for the concert in the evening.  For the second year in a row, the First Coast Wind Ensemble had an opportunity to have a guest composer come and conduct our band as we play his compositions.  Last year, we had Dr. David Holsinger come guest conduct his compositions.  Here's a video of our performance of  "Abrham's Pursuit".  This year we had Richard Saucedo come.  It was a great honor to have him rehearse his pieces with us and to preform them.  Two of my favorites are "Whirlwind(s)" and "Song of the Gandy Dancers".

Like I said, it was a busy day.

But in the middle of it all, I had a chance to go home teaching, which is a program in my church where we visit members of our congregation once a month to fellowship, teach a brief lesson, and make sure that their temporal things are taken care of.  I visited one family, with three children.  The lesson that I shared was on prayer, and that we should be exhorted to pray.

I never really thought about that way.  But it was a different way to teach about prayer.  To exhort someone to pray really has to come from humility, by example, and by love of God.  There are numerous examples in our lives where our prayers are answered.  And we should pray often, every day, individually and together as a family.

I'm not as diligent with my formal prayers, but throughout the day I do look up to Him for supplication.  And the great thing is that God has never failed to answer my prayers, even if it's not what I want to hear, or if I perceive that He hasn't answered me.

And it brought me back to my relationship with my Heavenly Father.  Prayer really is a pure communication to our Spiritual Father, our God.  And when we close our eyes to pray, how do we view Him.   Is He distant, or is He close.  Does He have a personal influence in your life?

Theses were questions that I had to readdress for myself, and it was a good exercise to share with the family that I was teaching.

I'm thankful for prayer, and that there really is a God that listens to me individually, and knows me personally.  


No comments: