Monday, February 6, 2012

Facebook

Years ago, I set up a profile with Bebo, and slowly started to link friends to it, just so that I can have this online address book.  Bebo still has a testimonial of mine that I posted years ago.  You can view it here.

I thought that Bebo was going to be the defacto site for keeping in touch with people.  I can't remember if or when MySpace started, but I never liked the interface.

Then came along Facebook...and it changed my world...and I'm sure it's changed yours as well.  I'm not going to detail the amazing/annoying/funny things that it can do, because I'm sure you've gone through the same evolution as you participate (or maybe not) in this social network.  But here are a few observations through the years.

  • People do not like change.  Whenever Facebook decides to change it's interface or feature, statuses are filled with complaints, and threats of leaving Facebook...and then after the initial shock subsides, the same people are still on it.  The only thing constant in life is change.   Embrace it. Live it. Love it.
  • Deep down inside, people are funny, very funny.  I love how that part of a person's personality becomes very apparent on Facebook.  Sometimes I like them more there than I really do in person, but hey.  I'm glad I get to connect with people that way.
  • You are sometimes better friends on Facebook then in real life.
  • Facebook has created new social Faux Pas.  Tagging friends on hideous pictures.  Not responding to status updates.  Stalking your boyfriend/girlfriend to see if they're commenting on "the perceived competition's" page.  Relationship statuses. Not officially friends unless your friends on Facebook.  South Park came up with an awesome segment on Facebook.  Watch it here.
I am thankful for Facebook, because of the ease of connectivity with friends, events, groups, pictures, etc.  Practically everything.  

1 comment:

Mat said...

Where's the like button on this thing?