Friday, February 17, 2012

Forgiveness

I messed up a few weeks ago.  And I knew an apology was in order.  But for a few weeks I avoided the inevitable, not sure how the reaction would be if I showed up in person to ask for forgiveness.  It's easy for human behavior to ignore the situation and hope that it would go away, but I knew I had to take an initiative to make amends.

So I did.

And the visit was very amicable, better than what I thought it would be.  The person I had offended graciously accepted my apology, and we could continue on with our relationship.  

I'm grateful that I can ask for forgiveness, and more importantly people choose to forgive.  Both are virtues and commandments from Heavenly Father.  And it is part of the refining process to be more like Him, because He does a good deal of forgiving, believe me.

Sometimes our thoughts prevents us from doing the right thing.  Fear is a common component of that.  But when we just choose to press through those fears, we are able to accomplish those things that are generally good, and in this case, I was able to ask this person for forgiveness.  

No comments: