Sunday, January 22, 2012

Choir Practice

Another good Spiritual day today, albeit a little laid back.  I didn't have as many church meetings today, but I did have choir practice.

My church is having Stake Conference next week.  A Stake consists of multiple Wards (or congregations) and twice a year, the wards get together for a stake conference weekend of leadership training, and two  church services, one on Saturday evening for just the adults, the other on Sunday morning for the entire family.

I am in the Stake Choir that sings at the services.  I love our choir director, Artis Hudnall.  He's a dynamic character, full of energy and passion.  He even broke his baton today trying to make an emphatic statement.  The first thing that went through my mind was "When is his birthday?  I'll be sure to get him a new baton as a gift".

For the latter part of the rehearsal, we worked on a beautiful arrangement of "I Stand All Amazed".  Artis put us through the ringer, going over parts of the piece over, and over, and over again, until we were satisfied with the results.  I could tell that as we were going through the repetitions, we were getting more comfortable with the piece, and that we started to focus more on the emotions of the piece instead of the technical mechanics.

Towards the end of rehearsal, Artis went to the back of the chapel, and painted the picture to us that he was going to be sick for the church service, and that we were not going to have anyone direct this piece.  And then, as if he was challenging us (although I could already tell the outcome), he wanted to perform this piece to him.

We put our collective game faces on, and with only the piano accompanist and each other to keep the piece together, we poured our hearts out to our director, in one of the most beautiful vocal renditions ever.  The entrances and cut-offs were precise.  The dynamics transitioned flawlessly.  Even the little artistic liberty to speed up and slow down were perfectly in line.  And the a capella section was just heavenly.  Artis just sat back there with a smile on his face, and afterwards, gave his heartfelt approval.

I've been in a lot of performances, and so I am familiar with being "in the zone", where the entire group gels as one.  But this time it was especially emotional to me, which doesn't usually happen.

Thanks, Artis, for such moving rehearsal, and it was just rehearsal.  I am looking forward to performing this hymn on Saturday.


No comments: