Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Gift Of Choice

I've pondered this topic for most of my grown life, especially for the past six years.  The ability to choose (sometimes called free agency or free will) is one of the greatest gifts that God has given us.  Choice has consequences.  Most people think that the word consequence has a negative connotation, but according to one definition, consequence means "the effect, result, or outcome of something".  Initially, I thought that this topic of choice was going to be one post entry this year, but I've come to realize that it will probably be multiple postings.

I watched part of the Orange Bowl tonight, West Virginia vs Clemson.  Before the game, ESPN did a bit on Dabo Swinney, the head coach of the Clemson Tigers.  He had a difficult upbringing, his father dealing with alcoholism, the family splitting up, with Dabo living with his mother, barely making ends meet.  He eventually went to college, and get this, invited his mom to come live with him.  And for three years they lived in an apartment together, and slept on the same bed.  (Thinking about my college experience, I couldn't fathom thinking of the same scenario.)  ESPN toured Dabo's current home, now that he is a successful coach.  The home was a far cry from the humble beginnings of his childhood.   They showed the bedroom suite that Dabo used growing up.  Dabo's son now uses this suite, which includes the same bed that Dabo and his mom slept in when he was in college.

During his younger years, Dabo said that he chose to be positive, because there was no use choosing to be miserable.  That part stuck out to me, because it is a mantra that I strive to live every day.

I'm glad that I can choose my attitude, and that I can choose to be positive.

I love hearing stories like Dabo Swinney, and countless others, especially in my personal associations, because they reaffirm my beliefs.

Life is not over...and trails and tribulations are a part of it, some that are brief, and some that are still ongoing, but regardless of things that are out of our control, we can still choose to be positive and happy.

No comments: