Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Deep Freeze

My brother called me tonight to remind me to drip the faucets and drain the outside water pump because of the deep freeze that is coming through Florida tonight.  This morning, the temperature had already dropped to the 30's, but tonight was going to be much worse.

Already in shorts for the evening, I changed into some jeans and put a jacket on.  I left the warm comforts of my house, and stumbled in the dark around to the side, flashlight in one hand, wrench in the other, and a cell phone in my pocket.

I didn't know which plug to unscrew so I called my dad and he walked me through to find the correct plug.  

I am thankful for the technology that makes our lives easier, and more comfortable.  

I did some research online to determine when the items listed above were developed or made popular:
  • Jeans - 1873
  • Wrench - 1800's
  • Cell phones - 1990's
  • Flashlight - 1899
  • Central heat - 1700's
  • Water well pumps (electric) - couldn't determine the origination, but I guess it was sometime after electricity production was developed.
Although technology is great, I have some concern that the same advancement of living is causing us to be "soft".  I'm sure that's why camping, fishing, and doing other things outdoors is so fun, because you are much closer to nature, braving the elements that God has created.

Don't get me wrong.  God designed us to discover, learn and create these things.  We just need to put aside technology every once in awhile to remind us what it's like to live without it. 

1 comment:

Kristenequa said...

I always bring my cell phone outside!!! You are never sure what you are going to have to do with it...Even talk to your Dad.