Monday, January 16, 2012

Spirit Filled Day

Sunday was a busy day for me (This blog is a day late).

Our regular church service and Sunday school classes were from 9am-12pm.  And after visiting some friends briefly at the Prime Osborn Convention Center, I headed back to church for a series of meetings, potluck dinner, and devotional, from 3pm-8pm.  Eight hours...

And then on top of that, I was asked to accept a new calling in the church.  For those of you that don't know, the Mormon church does not have a paid ministry.  It is up to us to voluntarily run the congregation  (wards as we call them).   A calling can be as simple as being a door greeter, or as "complex" and demanding as the Bishop (the Spiritual leader) of the ward.

I thought I was going to be worn out from a lot of "doing", but this day was by far one of the most Spiritually uplifting Sundays, as well as productive.

Some of the key things I learned today, and plan to "take action" in my life (that the whole purpose, right?):
  • When God commands you to do something, you have to "go and do" with faith, even when the solution does not seem evident, or if the task seems improbable.  1 Nephi 4:6
  • Remember that the mighty change happens first in the heart (humbling one's self and trusting in God).
  • The scriptures will lead you to the answers.  The answer may not necessarily come from the words of the scriptures, but by reading them, your heart and mind will be in the right state to receive the whisperings of the Holy Ghost.
  • There's no such thing as a boring talk (or sermon).  It goes again with being in the right mindset, to be ready to receive the gifts of knowledge and promptings.  You choose that.  That's why when a group of people listen to the same speaker, each individual takes something different from the content of the message.
I'm grateful for the lessons that God gave me today.  I'm also grateful for the people that I associated with, my friends that lifted me up Spiritually today.    

No comments: