Friday, January 27, 2012

Words With Friends

Scrabble on Facebook.   I was never a big fan of the game.  I would play the real board version probably once every other year.  

So why is the online version so appealing?  These are some of the reasons I've determined for my own self:
  1. No tiles or boards to set up
  2. You don't have to set time aside to play the entire game at once.  
  3. You can choose to set time aside to play the next iteration of all the games at once.
  4. There are a lot of online solvers to help you pick your words.  I use Scrabble Word Finder.
  5. I've caught up with a lot of friends that I would have not otherwise communicated with if it weren't for this game.
  6. And on the flip side, you can play a friendly game without talking to each other.  
I've learned a few strategies along the way that alluded me when I played the board version, especially defensive strategies.  If you can't quite reach the triple-word tile, then you block your opponent from getting to it.  Play shorter words for the same reason.  Play a word one tile short so you can go back and finish the word while spelling another word.  

I'm impressed with some of my opponents prowess to fit mini words along side another word which efficiently generates more points with fewer tiles, while spelling four words.  Impressive.

So today I am thankful for this electronic version for a classic board game.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you gave away your secret...now i shall crush you!!! hahahahaha!!!!