Friday, January 6, 2012

Make A Run For The Border

I had Taco Bell for a late dinner tonight.  As I was staring back into the kitchen area, I noticed how a lot of things have changed since I worked at Taco Bell, my high school job.  It was back in the 80's.  I remembered my stating salary was $3.41 per hour.  Crazy huh?

While I was working at Taco Bell, they slowly transition to the crappy food that it is now.  I'm not sure why I still eat there, with La Nopalera around the corner where I can get authentic Mexican food for a cheap price.  Before, we use to make almost everything in the store: ground the beef, fried the tortilla shells, grilled the steak and chicken, pressure cook the beans, etc.  But now all of it is pre-made at some factory and shipped to the stores.

With that being said, it was still fun times working with good friends, and a good way to break into the labor force, learning how to work for a paycheck.  Of all the positions that I worked there, my favorite was cashier, because I enjoyed talking to people.  I didn't understand it at the time, but later in life, I realized that that was a huge indicator of what type of jobs I would enjoy.

I highly suggest any teenagers reading this blog to work at some fast food place or restaurant just for the experience.

I am grateful for my experience at Taco Bell.

No comments: