Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunday School

For 2012, I've decided that I would devote my Sunday posts to Spiritual things.

For those of you who don't know, I'm a Mormon, which is a nickname for people who are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.   You may have seen those "I'm a Mormon" ads on TV or internet.  You can read my "I'm a Mormon" profile here.  

The nickname comes from another set of scriptures that we read in conjunction to the Bible, called The Book of Mormon.  I'm really excited that this year's Sunday School curriculum is devoted to this book.  Last year, we studied the New Testament, and the year before, it was the Old Testament.  

As the Sunday School teacher was going through the overview of the Book of Mormon, and how it is a keystone to our religion,  I traveled back in time, some 20+ years ago, when I didn't believe in God.  That was during my high school years.  I grew up as a Catholic, like most Filipinos, but then I stopped believing in Him.

I started dating someone at the time that was a Mormon, but I didn't want anything to do with religion, because I didn't believe God existed.  But during the later part of my high school years and my first year in college, I began questioning the meaning of life, and if there really was something more out there. 

Ultimately, it was the Book of Mormon, through reading and prayer, that brought me back to God.  I had a personal relationship with God again.  I also knew who to turn to as my Savior, and that is His Son Jesus Christ.  I know that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, I can return to my Heavenly Father again, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

I'm grateful for the Book of Mormon, for it has helped me come to Christ, and daily reading ensures that I keep living a more Christ-centered life.  

The Book of Mormon is a historical record of God’s dealings with the ancient inhabitants of the Americas (600 B.C. to 400 A.D.) It is holy scripture comparable to the Bible and contains Christ’s everlasting gospel. Its central message is to convince all “that Jesus is the Christ, the eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations.”  Click here for more information.




No comments: