Saturday, January 21, 2012

Computer Support

My uncle called me a couple of days ago stating that he was having problems with his laptop again.  A software window kept popping up and he couldn't get rid of it.  I didn't have time to look at his laptop until this morning. Apparently Microsoft's Live OneCare software was trying to update, but wasn't getting a connection to the mothership.  After some further research, I found out that Microsoft discontinued the sale of the software a couple of years ago, so I'm assuming that the maintenance of it stopped recently, hence no response from the mothership (Microsoft).

I tried to uninstall it, but it wouldn't work, so I found something online to download that would clean it out, but then it stated during the cleaning process that I had to have administrator privileges.  I went back to Google to find out how to activate the "Administrator" user.

I was finally able to remove the software.  It was rather easy.

Back in August last year, my uncle had an offending virus on his laptop, displaying an advertisement (rather annoyingly), asking him to order some anti-virus tool to remove it.  It's a ploy for the company to get people to buy stuff they don't need, but putting a virus on their computer to remove.

That one took some leg work to find the solution.  Once again Google helped me.

My uncle (and my dad, too...numerous times) know who to go to when they have computer problems...me.  And inevitable, while I am fixing their computer, each would then ask a similar question "Did you go to school for this?"

"No", I reply, "I just know how to identify the problem, and know where to find the solution."

Either way, they're thankful that they have an inexpensive resource for their computer problems (my aunt and uncle fed me breakfast for my visit this morning).

"But I thought your blog was about you giving thanks."

You spoke too soon, grasshopper.

There's is something therapeutic, and Spiritual, about giving a "service of value" to someone who could have not otherwise accomplish for themselves, of which I give thanks.  

I love that feeling of alleviating someone else's burden, and in this case, it was "my computer hacking skills" that helped my uncle (reference to my blog about Napoleon Dynamite).  I'm thankful that I do have that special knowledge that allowed me to provide that service.

With that being said, you don't necessarily need a special skill to serve one another.  Heavenly Father blesses those that help one another.  In the Book of Mormon, King Benjamin summarizes service in the following verse:

"And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." - Mosiah 2:17



No comments: